Employment of foreign academics

When the University of Vienna appoints foreign academics, different legal conditions apply:


Third-country nationals

Third country nationals (citizens of non-EU/EEA countries) need a valid visa for entry and/or residence in Austria. The specific type of permit required depends on the duration and purpose of the stay.


EEA/EU citizens

EU-/EEA-citizens respectively Swiss citizens have the right of residence and can enter Austria without a visa; only a valid travel document (passport, identity card) is required.

If the stay exceeds 3 months, a registration certificate must be applied for within 4 months.


It is recommended that contact should be made with Human Resources Administration at least four months before the intended date for taking up the post.


More detailed Information