First Steps

On the following page you will find a guide to the tings you need to do when you move to a new country and/or a new city:

 Administrative issues

Which Information does Human Resources Administration need from you? ­­


In the course of your application for a professorship and in preparation for your appointment negotiations, you have already provided various documents and certificates such as personal details and your academic career, and you have completed the personal information form.

Therefore Human Resources Administration only needs you to provide the following:

information on any data that has changed (e.g. your new address after moving to Austria; please send notice of this by e-mail, letter or residence registration form ("Meldezettel"))

Austrian bank account details for the payment of your salary and

• a valid residence permit if applicable (in the case of foreign academics


If any information is missing, the person from Human Resources Administration responsible for your faculty/centre will contact you.

 Social insurance

Social insurance in Austria includes health insurance (illness, incapacity for work and meternity), accident insurance, pension insurance and unemployment insurance.

As an employee at the University of Vienna you are socailly insured with the "Versicherunganstalt öffentlich Bediensteter" (bvaeb; Austrian insurance fund for civil or public servants).


On taking up your post at the University of Vienna, your employer will automatically send notification to the BVA which then results in insurance being set up with immediate effect. A social security number and an e-card are sent to you by mail.

To insure your partner or children (should your partner nto work and if your children are under 18 or not in work), you can apply for co-insurance: more information.

You can obtain information on pension insurance from the "Pensionsversicherungsanstalt" (PVA; Austrian Pension insurance Institution).


 Family allowance

If you are already living in Austria with your family, you can apply for family allowance. This is not dependent on salary and is paid separately.


The Professors´Appointment Consulting Service central support unit at the University of Vienna provides a Special accommodation Service.

•  Accommodation service

Vienna has a large variety of residential properties. Here are some initial insights into the general parameters pertaining to rental properties in Vienna/Austria:

• Electricity and heating costs are usually paid for and registered separately.

• It is standard practice to pay a deposit of between three and six months´rent for rental properties.

•  If you rent a property via an agend, you will pay a commission equal to two months´rent.

•  Properties are generally unfurnished.

You have an obligation to register your new address within three days of moving into the property.


Depending on your electricity and heating requirements, you can choose Independent suppliers - further information is available here:

•  e-control

It is recommended that you take out a home contents insurance policy - this is, however, not mandatory - further Details are available here:

•  Home contents insurance (German only)

 Becoming familiar with Vienna and getting around

A city map of Vienna can be found here:


Public Transport Information can be found here:

•  Wiener Linien
•  VOR - Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region(German only)
•  ÖBB (Austrian Federal Railway)


Getting around Vienna by car:

•  share now
•  eloop
•  share me (in cooperatin with WienMobil)
•  öbb rail&drive